Thursday, August 16, 2007

Readings on Special Operations

For professional reasons, I decided to read a bunch of books on special operations that happened to be on my bookshelves at home. I read Joes' Resisting Rebellion / The history and Politics of Counterinsurgency -- I had already read a good many case studies of counterinsurgencies, so I didn't learn that much. But there is a great quote int here about the strategy of the weak being guerrilla war. That's going to get quoted more than once. Dick Couch's Finishing School and Leroy Thompson's Secret Techniques of Elite Forces both served an important purpose: to tell me how small a place my own contributions, should they even be accepted, will play in the training of US special forces. I had read Dave Grossman's On Killing, and On Combat was not nearly as good. However, it did introduce to me to Maslow's levels of competence and the author's own principles of training, and that's going to help me teach.

No comments: