Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Carrere, Klein, Thomas

I read a historical novel, Les Adieux a la reine, by Chantal Thomas. It created a fictional character in the waning days of the French court, and covers only a couple of days. It was well researched, but as a professor of literature from Chennai once said to me: "I don't want a clever idea. I want a good read." I'm afraid that rather sums it up for me too, although it wasn't as bad as A. S. Byatt, for example. I also read Gary Klein's Sources of Power, about his studies in decision-making with the armed forces. It was one of the most relevant books I've read in the last five years, when it comes to my own research. I also just finished a novel by Emmanuel Carrere, La Classe de neige, about a young boy who winds up being molested by a pedophile. I hate to say ho-hum to such a tragic occurrence, but I certainly wasn't gripped by the atmosphere of dread and anticipation.

No comments: