Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The No Asshole Rule, Tous les soleils

I read two very different books yesterday. The first was yet another French novel about Italy, Tous les soleils, by Bertrand Visage, and then a management book regarding difficult workplaces, with the catchy title The No- Asshole Rule. The novel was unremarkable. It didn't leave much of an impression on me, except that I noticed it was a male author with a heroine. I always watch more closely to see if the men actually get it. This one did. The management book by Robert Sutton was written very clearly and simply. I r ead in an hour. It was interesting to the extent that it identified some of the patterns of a difficult person in a workplace. What interested me was the fact that this type of behavior may be catching, and also that there are some systemic chances of improving the situations, although only over the long term.

No comments: