Sunday, August 3, 2008

UNESCO list of representative literature, part I

Apart from reading The New Scientist and OK Magazine, I read a pile of books: a cultural history of Tobacco, two books by J.F. Phelizon, one on the management of prices in a company, another on Psychologie de la bataille (which contained some scary commercial strategies, some of which I'd never heard of), Anne Uberfeld's Lire le theatre, a literary theory for plays, and several novels from the UNESCO list of representative literature. I have two lists, one of French translations and one of English. They are already a revelation about the imaginary dimension of other cultures, cultures about which I thought I knew something. I read de Andrade's Macounaima, the picaresque adventures of a mythical native of Brazil. I also read Alencar's Iracema, a nativist novel, also of Brazil. I read two Bengali novels in translation, including La Complainte du sentier by B.B. Banerji, which I'm reading right now, and Chandra Chatterji's Testament de Krishnokanto, which I found conventional. Have I mentioned the Indian saga novel, Ilankovatikal's Roman de l'anneau? I also read a novel which reminded me of The Tin Drum, Lillelord by Johan Borgen, about a descent into madness; and a surreal novella by Abe, Le crime de Monsieur Y, in Les murs.

No comments: