Sunday, August 30, 2009

Grab Bag

Since my last post, I've read an issue of Eclectic Reading, an issue of OK Magazine, an issue of The New Yorker, an issue of Hello Canada, and an issue of The New Scientist.

I also read Jose Saramago's Death with Interruptions, a gift from my spouse. As good as Saramago is, I found this to be following the same formula as Blindness -- start with an unusual premise, and go from there. OK, not that much of a formula. It's an easy read. I read the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius, which I found full of Polonius-like advice -- probably it's the other way around. I also read Locke's Second Treatise on Government, and I was surprise to see how little Locke I've read -- just that and the treatise on Human Understanding. Finally, I read Dazzle' em With Style by Robert Anholt, which was also full of advice that I found a little self-evident, but possibly not if I was a physics students and 24 years-old.

No comments: