Monday, November 30, 2009

Carroll, Michelet

Since my last post, I've read 3 issues of Eclectic Reading, and an issue each of OK Magazine, The New Yorker, The Economist, and The New Scientist.

I've also read a book by Stuart Carroll about the Guise ducal family of France, Martyrs and Murderers, and Michelet's 3000 page history of the French Revolution. Michelet was almost too long and too detailed, I had trouble with the forest for the trees. I was also struck by the similarities between it and the Russian Revolution, with the assassinations of Marat/Trostky, the massacres by troops in the capital, the extermination of the monarch's family, etc. As far as the Guises are concerned, I was particularly interested in the discussion of various historical interpretations of la Saint-Barthalemy, the massacre of protestants by their Catholic countrymen in France.

No comments: