Saturday, March 13, 2010

Maupassant, Daudet, Kirsch

Since my last post I've read two issues of The Economist, two issues of Eclectic Reading, an issue of The New Yorker, two issues of OK Magazine, an issue of Vanity Fair, an issue of Hello Canada, and two issues of The New Scientist. I completed reading the short stories of Guy de Maupassant, and I have concluded, without originality, that he is a master of the short form. Almost 2500 pages of short stories! What imagination. I have now moved on to reading Alphonse Daudet, also known for his short stories but now I'm reading his novels. Jack, in particular, opens with a marvelous scene of Second Empire France and a parvenue lying to get her son into an aristocratic Jesuit boarding school. Wonderful.

I've also read Irving Kirsch's Emperor's New Drugs, a provocative look at the effectiveness of anti-depressants. A quick read, not entirely persuasive but very revealing of the scholarly establishment.

No comments: