Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Lowry, Graves, Anderson, Nicolson

Since my last post, I've read OK Magazine, The Economist, The New Yorker, The Globe, The New Scientist, and Hello Canada.

I've also read Portrait of a Marriage by Nigel Nicolson, which struck me as exploitative. I have no doubt at some point he needed a best seller to save his publishing house, Weidenfeld Nicolson. But to outline the travails of two gay people married to each other, his own parents too, I don't know, it seems a bit much like an invasion of privacy, despite the fact that all the principals were dead by the time it came out. He sold the TV rights, too, I saw the mini-series years ago. Anyway, the famous story of Vita Sackville-West and her same-sex lovers, although the affair here is not with Virginia Woolf, but with Violet Trefusis. And Sir Harold Nicolson, a British diplomat and biographer of George V, famous for his bon mot: "All he did for forty years is kill animals and stick in stamps." Golly, what an epitaph.

I read a biography of Robert Graves, and of Malcolm Lowry, and let me tell you, my life seems a pinnacle of good judgment and stability compared to these two, Graves with his attempts at menage `a trois that publicly and painfully don't work out, and Malcolm Lowry with his alcoholism and his Walter Mitty complex. And then I read a biography of Sherwood Anderson, who died of peritonitis after swallowing a toothpick. How can you not know you are swallowing a toothpick, and stop yourself? Oh well.

No comments: