Thursday, November 18, 2010

Marquez, Latin America

Since my last post, I've read two issues of Eclectic Reading, an issue of The New Yorker, and an issue of The Globe.

I also read Modern Culture of Latin America by Jean Franco. Her understanding of all the different national literature,including poetry, novels, short stories and plays is remarkable. I also read Latin American Culture and Modernity, which was disappointing in terms of the content, which focused on the treatment of Latin America in the social sciences. I also read a thematic history of Latin America, which provided me with more of the information I sought. I am at present reading Marquez' Love in the Time of Cholera. It is extremely vivid, and well-characterized, and the story is intriguing, but his work is here, as it is in his other novels, misogynist.

No comments: