Saturday, December 11, 2010

Greek and Roman Novels of Antiquity

Since my last post,I've read two issues of Eclectic Reading and two issues The New Scientist.

More importantly I've been delighted to continue reading in La Bibliotheque de la Pleiade, in the final push about about 50 books before I'm left with just the playwrights. This week, I finished reading the great Tao writings. I had read the Ghita, the Koran, the Bible, but not fully in Tao. It was very revealing to read. I also read a collection of Greek and Latin novels from Antiquity, also about which I knew nothing. I had read Ovid and Homer and some history, but not this. The introductory essays warned of boredom, and it was a tough read, although not for someone who has plowed through 18th century English novels. What I mostly saw was, predictably, hugely influential early texts, the root of all novels in the West. It was fascinating.

No comments: