Saturday, April 14, 2007

Trollope, four books in a day

I foolishly decided to read the rest of Trollope because I had read the Barchester stuff and the political novels. Unfortunately, I failed to notice he had written 49 books in his life. So I've got over 20 of them on my nighttable, borrowed from other libraries. I plowed in yesterday. First, I have to mention that I started the Vicar of Bullhampton, and I am already convinced it is a masterpiece of portraiture, especially after reading the description of the miller. I also read some of Trollope's later works: The Golden Lion of Granpere, The Fixed Period, Mr. Scarborough's Family, and Harry Heathcote of Gangoil. Scarborough and Granpere are conventional Trollope pieces of misplaced love and money troubles, although Granpere is set in France. Frankly, I hardly noticed the change of setting and I didn't find the portraiture of rural XIXth century France convincing at all. Fixed Period is a satirical novel about statisticians who plan everything in principle, but I did not find the satire very biting. Gangoil is another late novel set in Australia, and I didn't find that setting convincing either. It would appear that the critics were right: Trollope moved away from his strengths as a novelist when he moved away from his usual type of novel, although I can hardly blame him for doing so.

No comments: