Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Dickens, Barth

I have read Nicholas Nickleby, which I thought was masterful. I'm going to have to read Pickwick Papers shortly, which has failed to capture my examination. I also read Protestant Theology in the 19th Century, which was full of references to theologians of whom I had never heard. I also read Knowledge of God and Service of God by Karl Barth. I read Diane Paxson's Ravens of Avalon, which was a gift. It was the story of Bodacia, the queen who defeated the Romans in England.

Protestant Theology had some quotes I'd like to share. The first is something I'll reuse, I'm sure. "The Reader is invited to reflect on the omissions. He will find all sorts of gaps that I would not leave open today, and accents which I would now place differently. ... And he will probably stumble on one or other error of interpretation or judgment, caused by the haste in which I had to work and, at a deeper level, by limits to my vision." (p. 11, London: SCM Press, 1972).

"For fundamentally the astonishing thing is not that Hegel believed his philosophy to be an unsurpassable climax and culmination. It is that he was not right in thinking that after him the development was possible of a school of positivism, of pessimism and even of materialism, of Neo-Kantianism and whatever else the other modern philosophies may be called." (p. 384)

No comments: