Wednesday, December 5, 2007

misbegotten love in French novels

I read Le Pari, a novel about a sexual awakening and betrayal. What was striking about this novel is the accuracy with which the author describes desire, and the self-doubt and the worry that accompany it for so many women. It reminded me of Indian movies -- they show desire without being able to actually show sex, because of the censorship. In the case of this and the other two novels, it is not possible to actually describe the sex, but the writing is actually more erotic than so many other more explicit novels I have read. I also read Sangs by Louise Hervieu, about the overwhelming desire for a child in a country couple. Said child winds up being brought up by nuns, as the machinations to actually get a conception held, you guessed it, the seeds of the family's destruction. This novel was interesting because of the French patois, sometimes similar to the French I speak. I also read Caroline, by Felix de Chazournes, about a woman who loves one man and marries another, conceives a child by her lover, and must then face life when he marries another. It's not really more than a cliche, and it gave me the impression it ought to have been written in English, set in the Islands as it is, rather than French.

No comments: