Monday, March 10, 2008

Oeuvres completes, Blaise Pascal

I finished off the complete works with his 100-page fragment on grace. I was hoping for something more mystical than theological in that document, but it was not to be. I am pleased to have read Pascal, but his scientific texts were a slog. I skipped most of the geometry, I'll admit, although perusing them as I did gave me a better understanding of how he approached his meditations on God. I was thankful some of his scientific work was in Latin, so I didn't have to read those too. I did spend some time thinking over Pascal's conversion, provoked by his niece's lachrymal fistula. How can the fruits be so great when the original provocation, the spontaneous healing of the fistula, was considered wrongly to be a miracle?

I now undertake the first volume of Maurois' complete works.

No comments: