Monday, March 10, 2008

In Pursuit of Military Excellence and other readings

Since my last post, I've read two issues of The New Yorker, two issues of The New Scientist, Vogue's spring issue, several works of Pascal, and Shimon Naveh's Pursuit of Military Excellence. This last book was published in 1997, and it looks at the operational art. The problem with it, I think, is that he never moves beyond the idea of national schools of strategy into the more theoretical realm, although he may do that in another book. It otherwise treads on some of the same material that I have written about. It is incredibly generously footnoted, and for the first time in my career he refers to works in strategy that I haven't read. I will be returning to Pascal shortly. I am considering starting to read a lot more in French for the next while.

No comments: