Tuesday, October 28, 2008

UNESCO Representative Literature

I've read quite a bit of Japanese literature. Mon, about the consequences of two people engaging in pre-marital sex in Victorian Japan, is by Natsume. So is Botchan, about a boy's school schoolmaster. I simply devoured Kafu Nagai's Geisha in Rivalry. It is another Victorian novel about geisha in Tokyo, and its translator didn't capture any poetry in the title, bit I read it straight through, worried I'd be late if I kept reading. But still I kept reading. In the general category of agitprop, I read Koyabashi's Absentee Landlord, about the endless persecution or exploitation of the poor. Worst, or at least most vivid, of all, is Endo's The Sea and Poison, a novel about human vivisection by the Japanese during World War II. It was related so clearly, I had to skip the worst passages.

I also read an issue of The New Scientist and OK Magazine.

I'm reading Ward Ruyslinck's Deadbeats, a short novel about a daily laborer in Holland.

No comments: