Tuesday, October 28, 2008

UNESCO Representative Literature

After finishing The Deadbeats, I read Salih's Bandarshah, the story of a grandfather written in the epic style. I read the charming Silver Spoon, by Naka Kansuke, the story of his childhood. I then read Shimazaki Toson's The Family, an autobiographical naturalistic novel about a brother being bled financially by his brothers and other relatives. Not exactly an optimistic view of human nature, and it begins with the protagonist's feelings of betrayal after his marriage on finding out his wife once was engaged to another man. I also read a conventional resistance noel, although this is set in World War I Romania, called A Gamble With Death, by Stancu.

I also read a two-volume essay on the Taxonomy of Pedagogical Objectives, which despite its arcane title I found riveting.

No comments: