Sunday, December 7, 2008

The last of the UNESCO list!

I have read the last of the UNESCO list of representative literature, The Uprising, by Liviu Rebreanu. I wasn't captivated, I liked his later novel more, but I was ecstatic to be done at last with the list! Talk about traveling inside my head!

I also read Agnes Humbert's Notre guerre, a French museologist's account of her suffering at German hands during World War II, including deportation, for being in the Resistance. I read Rose Lee Goldberg's Performance, an update of her earlier book on performance art, filled with color pictures this time. I also read Madeline Levine's Price of Privilege, which turned out to be a simple argument that rich kids can be suffering emotionally too. Money is a great way to neglect children without seeming to be doing so. I also read Vol. 2 of La pleiade's Theatre du XVIIe siecle, about 30 plays in all. I was hoping for something political during the Revolutionary period, and I got it. Otherwise, the farces and tragedies are full of silly country people or noble titled people.

I also read three issues of The Economist, an issue of Hello Canada, and one issue of The New Scientist.

No comments: