Sunday, November 30, 2008

last dribbles of the unesco list, Wood,

Since my last blog I've read an issue of The New Yorker, an issue of The Economist, and an issue of The New Scientist. I've also read Wood's How Fiction works, Patterns of Fashion by Janet Arnold, Performance Art by Ruth Goldberg, Putin's Labyrinth by Steven Levine, Footprints in the Snow by Kenjiro Tokutomi, Loneliness by Patrick and Cacioppo, and Hidden in the Shadow of the Masters, by Ruth Butler.

How Fiction Works is a quick easy read, and I know I got some insight out of it, but I can't remember now what it was. Patterns of Fashion had a 16-page essay and many patterns and photographs of costumes from the fifteen- and sixteen-hundreds. Performance Art was interesting: it made me think that performance art was about truth, at its most shocking, rather than pure sensation. Footprints in the Snow is yet another autobiographical novel about the struggle against family obligation in Japan. Putin's Labyrinth is about the network of murders and torture in Putin's Russia. It rehashes Poliskaya and Litvenenko's murders, for example. Quick read, anyway. Loneliness is a book about the psychology of connection, and while written for the layperson it is too gross, too unsubtle in its argument. Butler's book about Mesdames Monet, Rodin, and Cezanne made me feel sorry for these lovely young women who dedicated their youth and beauty to men who betrayed them in the end.

No comments: