Saturday, February 7, 2009

Arendt, choreography

I've read an issue of Eclectic Reading, The New Scientist, and OK Magazine since my last post. I've also read Diane Athill's Somewhere Near the End, Sandra Menton's Choreography, Moore and Yamamoto's Beyond Words, Brudny's Hannah Arendt, Ettinger's Harendt/Heidegger, Arendt's Rahel Vernhagen, and Kristeva's Arendt.

I liked Athill's memoir about aging; she is spare yet eloquent in her prose; she marks without sentimentality the end of her sexual life, for example. Menton's book is the first I've read about choreography, and it was admirably practical. I thought a lot about movement and how to showcase it, as I had attended an art performance last night. I retain mostly information about planes and facing and angles. The three books about Arendt were instrumental and confirming my view of her as someone who was somehow wounded to endure a relationship with Heidegger, a man who was antithetical to some of her identity. Her Vernhagen is, as the introduction argues, that this is heavily a work of autobiography. I'm debating whether to read more of Arendt. I can't remember if I've read all her work yet.

No comments: