Monday, February 2, 2009

Claudel prose, mags

I read an issue of Eclectic Reading, The New Yorker, The New Scientist and The Economist since my last post. I also read a volume of Claudel's prose works, which are mostly cultural criticism. I usually don't read collections of newspaper articles, but I made an exception in this case. I liked what he had to say as asides, and he apparently didn't write book length stuff. Here is a quote form Accompagnements, p. 632 of my edition: "C'est tout autre chose de faire marcher neuf personnages, chacun avec sa physionomie, sa vocation, sa ligne personnelle... en sorte que pas un de leurs mouvements concertes soit inutile a l'action, au profit, pour la solution, d'un probleme vraiment foncier, d'interet profond et general et generateur a son tour d'autres problemes concentriques." This is exactly my ideal.

And on p.4 of Positions et propositions, "La parole ecrite est employee a deux fins: ou bien nous voulons produire dans l'esprit du lecteur un etat de connaissance, ou bien un etat de joie." Possibly performance art is meant to be like poetry, not entirely understood.

No comments: