Friday, January 11, 2008

Barth's Witness to the Word, Ethics, Theology of the Reformed Confessions

With Ethics, I've read about a dozen books that were originally lectures for courses by various intellectuals: Maritain, Heidegger, and now Barth. He takes a highly abstract view of ethics, and doesn't even get to the concept of conscience until very late in the book, as he himself states. The other two books are very technical: Witness is actually a commentary on the first chapter of the Gospel according to John, such as the commentary of Romans that made Barth famous. I was handicapped in my appreciation by my lack of Greek, but it was extremely technical at best. Theology of the Reformed Confessions referred constantly to texts that I was not knowledgeable about, like the various catechisms and professions of faith of the Protestant denominations.

I also read a number of articles on air power in the latest Air and Aerospace Journal, as well as the latest issue of Vanity Fair cover to cover, but back to front.

No comments: