Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Eclectic Reading, Biography of Cary Grant, Prayer by Karl Barth

My common law partner produces something he calls 'eclectic reading' from time to time, and I've read two issues in the last couple of days. On Monday, I read a bunch of articles recounting testimony at the inquest into the Princess of Wales' death. So I read the one line her lover Natty Khan had to say, which was discreet, thank goodness. Then the warbling of her former butler, who keeps a diary except when it's about to be subpoenaed. And best of all, the former head of Scotland Yard who said Di had a thing for me with back hair. Followed inevitably by speculation in the Daily Mail about who had back hair: not Charles, not Dodi, not Natty and not that cad, James Hewitt. In yesterday's eclectic, I read about England's dinosaur coast and the pioneer collector, Mary Anning; the benefits of capitalism for the soul (which I didn't by); a Wall Street Journal piece about the trend in home repairs among women -- a trend which I personally enjoy, except for the pink hammers; an article about the travails of Robert Oppenheimer, post-bomb; a discussion of the corporate failings of Starbucks; a bad piece on how Bedouin customs make Islam into a violence-laced religion (WRONG!) .

I also read Karl Barth's book on Prayer. It seems Karl has two hobby horses: exegesis of the technical sort, and a particular brand of systematic theology. He's very good at both, but I only enjoy reading the theology. In Prayer, I had hope for a more mystical treatment, but it has systematic theology on prayer followed by an exegesis of the Lord's Prayer.

I also read about 4 inches' worth of articles for my paper on Pakistan and Afghanistan, but it was the biography of Cary Grant that I really enjoyed. I devoured it happily cover to cover last evening, as I waited for the Michigan primary results. The eponymous critical biography is by Graham McCann. One of the articles was a Congressional Research Report on Islam in South and Southeast Asia, by Bruce Vaughn.

No comments: