Friday, January 18, 2008

Counterterrorism books

I plowed through the rest of my books on counter terrorism, though more are coming in every day. I read Europe and Counterterrorism, by Kirstin Archik and Paul Gallis. This is a survey of what European governments do for counterterrorism, written quite shortly after 9/11. I also read Science and Technology in Couterterrorism, by Tushar Gosh et al, of which primarily the psychology section will be useful to me. It also has some case studies and chronologies which I can use in much more detail. I also read Roots of Terrorism by Louise Richardson et al. This was less useful to me. Howard Russell's Terrorism and Counterterrrorism was excellent and most useful: it's a reader of the important articles in the field, and it was very useful. I was reassured to see how much support for my theory there was. Art and Richardson's Democracy and Counterterrorism is yet another edited collection, but it contained some mention of the case studies I'm interested in, Pakistan and Afghanistan. Then I also read Democratic development & political terrorism : the global perspective, edited by William Crotty. This was notable for the statement, which I'm not sure is accurate, that there are no democratic governments with a Muslim majority at the moment.

No comments: