Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Descartes, Racine's first six plays

I completed the reading of Descartes philosophical works, and there is nothing like the immortal glory of the Meditations. I read the Principes and the rest, but the Meditations are great. The fact hat I read a relatively contemporary translation of the Latin makes it easier, but much of what he wrote I could have said for myself, and the consideration of the relations between faith and knowledge that is relevant is rare in a document already so old.

I have also read the first six plays written by Racine. I ran out of steam last night trying to read Bazajet. I think Racine a poet with an ear for what is natural, his language is clear and metaphorical and smooth. I compare this to Shakespeare (he is only writing fifty or sixty years earlier) and find him much much easier to understand. I am really looking forward to reading Phedre in the next few days.

No comments: