Monday, June 30, 2008

Paleolithic Art, Richard Wright, Bourbon Queens

I read Rebecca Fraser's biography of the Bronte's, followed by Hazel Rowley's biography of Richard Wright. First, I forever give up my right to complain about my own life as a writer, ever, ever, ever. Second, Wright treated his women very badly indeed. I finished Laurie Lisle's life of Louise Nevelson, a biography without much insight, as was her life of Georgia O'Keefe, and also what a self-centered person Nevelson was. I then read the first of four volumes on the queens of France in the Bourbon dynasty by Simone Bertieres -- I'm reading a lot about XVII and XVIIIth century France this summer -- and I confess to boredom as I had recently read biographies of Richelieu and Mazarin. I also finished Dale Guthrie's book on paleolithic art, but it's a misnomer. It's about what we can conclude paleolithic life was like based on the art. There was a much longer chapter devoted to sexuality in the art than is usual in archeological texts. And yes, the pompous tone goes on to the end, including what seems to be the author's own poems and musings. I mean, really.

No comments: