Saturday, June 7, 2008

Milton, Sidgwick, Shakespeare's Wife, Descartes

I read the towering biography of Milton by Lewalski, it was wonderful, although not that much attention was paid to his personal life. I also read Sidgwick's Methods of Ethics, which was very clearly written and discusses the ways in which we can decide what is right. I was pleased to read about the fact that such a great philosopher was also regarded as a great teacher. I also read Germaine Greer's book on Ann Hathaway. I found her biography thin, but what can you expect from such a book undertaken on principle? I have returned to the complete philosophical works of Descartes, specifically his meditations. They are an extraordinary exploration of knowledge and faith. He also makes some very interesting comments on the ease and simplicity of studying such matters as geometry and the exact sciences, and how much more difficult it is to study what is the object of today's social sciences. I laughed at the thought of what some of my colleagues might say. Finally I also read Shut up! I'm Talking by Gregory Levey. I didn't find it insightful or that funny, it's a speech writer's reminiscence about working in Israel for politicians and diplomats.

No comments: