Saturday, May 30, 2009

Sulivan, Marquez, Metacognition, Volk, Kanipe, Yakobson

I've read an issue of Majesty and an issue of the National Enquirer, as well as an update of the F*** My Life blog, since my last post. The latter blog is one of the few that makes me laugh, although I suspect it is not authentic -- too sharply written too consistently.

I have also read several books by Jean Sulivan: Au dela de la mer, Traversee des illusions; the novel Obsession de Delphes; and Le plus petit abime.

I read several essays, Metapatterns by Tyler Volk, which I found a silly treatment of an interesting premise; Yakobson's Israel and the Family of Nations, which argues for both a state for the Jews and the Law of Return, which turned out to be tautological in argument, however much I agree with either; and Cosmic Connection, by Jeff Kanipe, about how astronomy can affect our lives.

I read several Marquez: Clandestine in Chile, a first person reportage of a Chilean film maker returning illegally to his homeland to make a documentary about the junta; Memories of my Melancholy Whores, about an old man recalling what life is about through the series of prostitutes he patronized -- Marquez is a good writer, but sexist in the extreme; Of Love and Other Demons; and Chronicles of a Death Foretold, also about exactly that, the death of a man who knows he is to be assassinated and doesn't understand his own death.

Finally, there was a pile of metacognition books: Intuition and Metacognition in Medical Education, by Quirk, which showed me what I was doing in class was recommended for other types of classrooms, at least; Papaleontiou-Louca's Metacognition and theory of mind; Ong's Orality and Literacy, which had some interesting things to say about the effect of print on the speed and silence of reading, and how that affects authors; and Comprehension Connections, by Tammy McGregor.

No comments: