Friday, January 1, 2010

Giono, Beaumarchais, Forster

Since my last post, I've read an issue of the Examiner, the Globe, The Economist, and The New Scientist.

I've also read the last three volumes of short stories and novels by Jean Giono, including the great classic L'homme qui plantait des arbres. I found that spare and moving. The other novels were good, but were more of mixed bag in terms of my personal taste. However, it completes my reading of his complete works.

I've already finished reading the plays of Beaumarchais, I have only the two essays to read now. I most belatedly realised that Le Barbier de Seville and Le Mariage de Figaro feature all the same characters....Better late than never, I suppose.

I also read quite a superficial biography of E.M. Forster, which reported the family members on whom certain of his characters were based, and the trips he took and the jobs he held.

I now believe I will be able to get everything read that I wanted to this December break. I've only a collection of Levi-Strauss books to read for inter library loan, and perhaps fifteen literary biographies. On the other hand, I have two large bags full of books to return to the library sometime today, as I don't want to carry them in my backpack when classes begin again.

No comments: