Sunday, January 24, 2010

Louis Aragon

Since my last post,I've read an issue of Majesty, my guilty pleasure, an issue of Eclectic Reading, an issue of The New Yorker, and an issue of Vanity Fair. I don't usually discuss my mag reading, but The New Yorker has a great article on the Obama administration and the news reporters, and Vanity Fair has a great article about Tiger Woods and his recent fall from grace. Reading between the lines, I came to understand that Tiger Woods had signed with excellent handlers who controlled his public image to the extent of giving hush money to his numerous sexual partners over the years. How sad for his family and for himself.

I have also read nearly all of Louis Aragon's novels. He was a surrealist and a communist who came to abandon both camps. He certainly has written a wide range of novels, but I liked Les Voyageurs de l'imperiale the best, even though his most read novel is Aurelien and his least, which I'm struggling through now, is Les Communistes, about how the communists in France held up during World War II. Hmm... it certainly gives me food for thought, as it opens with two Frenchmen trying to get a third out of the Spanish Civil War.

No comments: