Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Queneau, Maupassant, Boswell

Since my last post I've read an issue of The New Yorker, two issues of Eclectic Reading, and an issue of OK Magazine. I've also read the first half of James Boswell's biography, and I have discovered the wonderful novels of Guy de Maupassant. I particularly enjoyed Bel Ami, the story of a climber, of course, but I do like those. In all Maupassant's novels, there is a martyr -- a woman with a baby, someone dying of tuberculosis, etc. I also finally got to read the last volume of Raymond Queneau, including his experiments with the spoken word in print, which irritated me. However Zazie dans le metro is a famous novel, and I'm glad to have read it. I'm also reading the draft memoirs of a friend, Eleanor Albanese. These are at times so vivid that I feel I am there.

No comments: