Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Goncourts, Books About Theatre and Teaching

Since my last post, I read an issue of Eclectic Reading. I also read the Goncourt novel, La fille Elisa. It is a realistic prison novel, and I thought it had a much lighter touch, for all its didacticism, than Emile Zola. I liked it. It was short. I also read Cherie, which I thought was far more gossipy than that greatest of French gossips, Proust. I also read two texts on Japanese art, which consisted mainly of descriptions of woodcuttings, without illustration -- Hokousaii and Outamaro. I had trouble with the odd transliteration of the Japanese.

I also read tons of books about the theatre. Teach Yourself Amateur Theatre by Nicholas Gibbs, Elder's Will It Make A Theatre?; Salzer's Skeptical Scenographer; Holdar's study of Bergman, called Scenography in Action; Antony Sher's Primo Time, his diary during a production of a play about Primo Levi; De la Cruz's Directing for Theatre; McCabe's Mis-Directing a Play; Knopf's Director as Collaborator; Stagecrafter's Handbook; the government of Quebec's Production scenique;, and Coulisses de theatre. I was more interested in Gorilla Theatre, which is about a theatre company that played the classics out of doors where people happened to congregate, by Sanderson, and Katie Mitchell's Director's Craft.

I also read Bligh's What's the Use of Lectures, Boyne's Listening and Notetaking Skills; and Cannon's Lecturing.

No comments: