Thursday, July 9, 2009

Zweig

Well, didn't I get 34 books on interlibrary loan yesterday, so I've being mowing down the quick easy reads as fast as I can, by fear of being overwhelmed.

I read a number of short stories: Laponella, Le bouquiniste Mendel, The Runaway, Virata, The Governess, The Buried Candelabra, Buchmendel, Moonbeam Alley, Rachel Arraigns God, Impromptu Study of a Handicraft, Amok, La femme et le paysage, The Star Above the Forest, The invisible Collection,Twilight, Fantastic Night, The Fowler Snared, The Chess Story, and Letter From an Unknown Woman. Twilight is eerie, it is the story of woman who carefully plans her own suicide, written by a man who also planned his own, and carried it out.

I also read Amerigo, Paul Verlaine, Marcelline Desbordes-Valmore, biographies; and the essay Right to Heresy, about Calvin and one of his opponents.I had never hear of Desbordes-Valmore, so I was happy to find out about her. I knew only some of Verlaine's life, and was also happy to read his Art poetique.

No comments: