Saturday, July 25, 2009

Mags, Theatre

Since my last post, I've read an issue of The Economist, an issue of Hello!Canada, an issue of Eclectic Reading, and an issue of OK Magazine. I've also watched a lot of movies, almost all of which were outstanding or unusual in some way: Vatel, Amazing Grace, There Will Be Blood, Requiem for a Dream, Leolo, The Reader, Million Dollar Baby, The Baroness and the Pig, and The Passion of the Christ.

I also read a number of books on the theatre: Anatoly Efros' Profession: Director, Wills' Directing in the Theatre, Berger's Playwright Versus Director and The Theatre Team, Taylor's Directing Plays, Delgado's In Contact with the Gods, Braun's Theatre Directing, Unwin's So You Want to be a Theatre Director?, Maccoy's extraordinary Essentials of Stage Management, Migliarisi's Directing and Authorship in Western Drama, Gloman's Scenic Design and Lighting Techniques, and Luckhurst's Dramaturgy. I have learned a great deal on the technical side, to be sure, and I now have the answer to many of my questions. I found some of the books irritating because they just reported conversations verbatim at festivals and such.

No comments: