Monday, November 3, 2008

More UNESCO

I didn't feel like reading more late yesterday, but I had trouble sleeping. So I read Teresa De La Parra's Mama Blanca's Memoirs, Arreguin-Toft's How the Weak Win Wars, and Kazantzakis' Alexander the Great. I've read other works by Parra, and this one didn't make much more of an impression on me than the others. In fact, I thought her other novel was more effective. It was also three times as long as this one. I admired Kazantzakis's novel on Jesus, but this one, a serial intended for young people, didn't stand out very much. I read the Arreguin-Toft for professional reasons, and thought the author had gone to a lot a trouble with the statistics to make the same point I made in a totally different way, with a lot less work, in one of my own books.

No comments: