Sunday, November 2, 2008

UNESCO, Voltaire

Since I last blogged, I read two issues of The New Yorker, one issue of The Economist, one issue of OK Magazine, and three issues of Eclectic Reading. That's it for the mags, I also read the 8th volume of the complete works of Voltaire. This was a slog, as it contained his Histoire universelle. When it came to discussing Louis XIVth's reign, I thought what a contrast it was to Saint-Simon's magnificent Memoires. Saint-Simon's portraits of individuals were priceless, where as this is pretty bland. It was an interesting intellectual experience to read again about this period, when I've read so many of the first-person writings of the principals. Eight volumes down, eight to go.

I also read a stack of books from the UNESCO list. I read the first Japanese novel, Tale of the Lady Ochikubo, or for the cognoscenti, Ochikubo Monogatari. It precedes Tales of Genji by Lady Murasaki, which I also read. I found it a surprisingly easy read, humorous, interesting since I worked in Japan and I am curious about the foundations of the culture. I was thankful for the appendix with the structure of the Imperial Court, since everyone went by titles and not names in the thing.

I also read Olivier Friggieri A Turn of the Wheel, a novel about a depressed young man apparently dressing at straws. The most interesting thing about it is that it is translated from the Maltese dialect. It's a short, easy read.

I also read Nakae Chomin's Discourse by Three Drunkards on Government, a heavy-handed and, indeed, heavy satire of politics. Three men drinking talk about the government in Japan and elsewhere. I had thought it might interest me more than it did.

Of greater interest was the naturalist novel The Broken Commandment by Shimazaki Toson. This is about a Buraku, in the book known as an outcast or eta, who hides his social status and becomes an esteemed teacher in an important school. The novel ends with the teacher revealing his status to his students and bowing to the floor in apology. I was shocked at this turn, since the author is so obviously sympathetic to the Burakumin, but I have to agree that this is realistic. The plight of the Japanese untouchables cannot be exaggerated. I should think gay people would be able to relate, hopefully only in former times, to the need for secrecy and the public shame.

I also read Sigurdsson's Pastor Bodvar's Letter, which held neither my interest nor my attention very well. The same can be said of Autran Dourado's Voices of the Dead, and William Heinesen's Tower at the Edge of the World. It reminded me of the French Canadian classic, Le fou de l'ile, by Felix Leclerc, and Alain-Fournier's Le grand Meaulnes. Poetic, non-linear coming of age novels all.

Ruswa's Umra Jan Ada is the story of a prostitute in Lucknow, originally written in Urdu. I thought this was a sad and naturalistic story of a young girl defiled and then disposed of into prostitution. I was particularly struck by the passages where her companions are auctioned off for their deflowering, and then live in a much more exalted and luxurious style.

Finally I smiled over Paasilinna's Year of the Hare, the story like Ring Lardner's Ring of Bright Water, about a man and his pet. This time, it really is the eponmyous hare of the title, the pet owner's travails with border agents and game wardens, his troubles over getting fresh grass for the wild animal.

No comments: