Monday, November 17, 2008

My night stand's leftovers

Since my last post, I've been reading the stuff left over from other reading lists. So, it will come as no surprise that I've read an issue of Airpower in French and in English. I also read the delightful Nocturnes, by Daniel-Rops, and Suzanna Jacob's La passion selon Galatee. I thought well of the miniatures of reflexion in Daniel-Rops, but Jacob's book was ordinary in every way.

I read Kechichian's biography of King Faysal, but I was disappointed by the lack of insight into his character. I felt that there was a certain amount of recycling from some previous work on the foreign policy of Saudi Arabia. I also read Becker's Art Worlds. This is an essay outlining the sociology of people who make and distribute art. I found the chapter on mavericks really interesting, as well as the discussion the constraints posed by any distribution system. I also read Sebastian de Grazia's biographical essay, Machiavelli in Hell. I was disappointed with the lack of insight here too, since the bulk of the book is taken up by a discussion of Machiavelli's writings. I wanted to know how he transmuted life into writing. Delhommais' Cinq milliards en fumee is about a rogue trader in France losing five billion euros. I suppose it's an understatement to say the guy was under-supervised. After that I read two murder mysteries given me by my boyfriend: Slaughter's Fractured and Grippando's Intent to Kill. I read each in about two hours, and I thought Slaughter had more unusual characters, even if they were still stereotyped. I suppose I noticed that it was the handicapped (autistic/dyslexic) which were the murderers instead of, in the past, blacks, loose women, poor people. Have we progressed at all beyond this distrust of the other?

No comments: