Friday, November 14, 2008

UNESCO list

I have read Ion by Liviu Rebreanu , Premchand's Gift of a Cow, and Thor's Quick Quick Said the Bird. Ion is a pastoral, about a greedy and loathsome peasant trying to climb out of poverty, and making a lot of people unhappy in the process. Gift of a Cow is also about the rural poor, this time set in India. The hero, Hora, tries to do good and sinks into poverty more and more. I wanted desperately to give him the two or three dollars that would have saved him. Hora dies at the end, with a lifetime of drudgery yielding enough money for a few months' worth of floor for his family. Thor's book is an experimental novel. Having only read Halldor Laxness among the Icelandic writers, I'm glad I read it. It certainlyis different, but I think it's a noble failure.

I also read an issue of OK Magazine and an issue of The New Scientist.

No comments: