Monday, June 15, 2009

Giraudoux, Vargas Llosa

Since my last post, I read an issue of Cook's Illustrated, an issue of an astouding teen magazine called Pop Star, and an issue of Le nouvel observateur. I read three plays by Vargas Llosa, and I thought the last of them, La Chunga, was the most interesting. It is like Rashomon in structure, i.e. it shows several different possible occurrences for the ending of a story. The play is about which of these actually occurred. It is not about truth, however, it is about what goes on in people's heads. The fact that it considers what happened between a madam everyone assumes is a lesbian and a beautiful young woman must have made it controversial at the time, in Latin America.

I've also begun the complete works of Giraudoux, the French interwar novelist. I actually like it, I've already read three of them. Thank goodness for that! I've been slogging through stuff quite a bit.

No comments: