Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Schulz, Giraudoux

Since my last post, I've read an issue of OK Magazine.

I also read the complete novels of Jean Giraudoux. He was interesting because his writing covered a wide range of types of novels. Certainly he displays ample mastery of the various genres, but what that meant in practice is that I only liked a couple of his novels.

I also read the complete fiction of Bruno Schulz, the Polish writer who was murdered in a ghetto during World War II. I found that, after reading peans to him, that the translation must have not rendered the virtuosity of his Polish. I suppose this is to be expected, only Tolstoy was fortunate enough to have a Constance Garnett. But I found him capable of the telling detail, and heavily autobiographical, and easy to read.

No comments: