Friday, June 5, 2009

Showalter, Stiles, Vargas Llosa, Marrus, Del Ponte, Dunlosky, Nelson, Hacker, Perfect, Shaughnessy

I've read an issue of Eclectic Reading since my last post.

I read quite a few non-fiction books today. I finished the biography of Commodore Vanderbilt, The First Tycoon. It was an excellent biography, it's just I belatedly discovered I wasn't interested. I also read Showalter's Jury of her Peers, which I was more interested in as the writers under discussion got more recent. I read Marrus' Vichy France and the Jews, where I was surprised to learn that the antisemitic laws were not enacted under German pressure. I then devoured Carla Del Ponte's memoirs, Madame Prosecutor. I got a huge kick out of such a strong woman being on a mission of justice, although I'm not sure I'd want her as an employee! I also read Vargas Llosa's book on Les miserables by Victor Hugo, but I didn't like it nearly as much as the book on Madame Bovary. The hate him/love him pattern continues.

Then I read a number of books on metacognition: the eponymous Metacognition by Dunlosky and Metcalfe, probably the best overview of any I've read; a reader, Metacognition, edited by Nelson; Metacognition in Educational Theory and Practice, by Hacker et al, which didn't contain much about higher education unfortunately, but confirmed some of my classroom practices; ditto Perfect et al's Applied Metacognition, ditto; and Shaughnessy et al's Meta-cognition, ditto.

No comments: