Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Running out of reading, Puig

I did indeed run out of reading, and had to resort to trying to find something int he house I hadn't read -- slim pickings! I read 637 Best Things Anyone Ever Said, which turned out to be about half Woody Allen witticisms, instead of Tacitus and Plato. All is well, I ordered more books, and I got the first five of 20 volumes of the complete works of Diderot from the library. All is well.

I am at present reading the complete works of Andre Chenier, a French poet who died during the Terror. I also read a stack of Manuel Puig's novels. I find him most of all formulaic, with the blend of fantasy and reality. He is certain daring in terms of structure and I will say this for him: his experiments in structure serve him, unlike so many others. I suppose he will be at his best for Kiss of the Spider Woman. I have read Heartbreak Tango, Eternal Curse on the Reader of These Pages, Under a Mantle of Stars, Tropical Night Falling, Mystery of the Rose Bouquet, Blood of Requited Love. They are all short and fantastical.

No comments: