Saturday, June 20, 2009

Munro, Ficowski, Puig, Chekhov

Since my last post I've read an issue of OK Magazine, an issue of The New Yorker, and issue of the Utne Reader and an issue of The Economist.

I've also read all the stories of Alice Munro published in collections, Pubis Angelical by Manuel Puig, a biography of Bruno Schulz, Regions of the Great Heresy by Ficowski, and the plays of Anton Chekhov. The Puig novel was interesting from a structural point of view, with the intertwined stories of two imaginary women with a real, Latin American one. The stories of Alice Munro were keenly observed and psychologically true, as well as understated. I don't think, however, that they will be read much in fifty years. The collections I read were Runaway, Who do you think you are?, Away from her, Hateship, Courtship, Friendship, Loveship, Marriage, Friend of my youth, and The love of a good woman. I read Chekhov because I wanted to add him to my list of great dramatists.

I'm now about to run out of reading, as I've only got about 500 pages to go in an anthology about film.

No comments: